Since I wrote my post on how addictive and difficult sugar is on us, I’ve been asked a few times to recommend some snacks people can have to fill in for that sweet tooth, late at nigh,t snack craving. I decided to write a separate post to recommend a few things and for others to share since sugar is possibly the toughest addiction to give up!
As for cravings… I was kinda lucky since I didn’t have a big sweet tooth before this experience (my weakness is chips and tortilla chips.. which I don’t really eat any more either). Here are a few suggestions to hopefully help you out:
- Organic popcorn with Earth Balance Organic Spread (my butter, since butter is just animal fat).
- Fruit (should satisfy the sweetness, check the Glycemic Index to keep “natural sugars” to a minimum also)
- Nuts and seeds
- Almond butter on toast
- Veggies dipped in hummus (home-made or one with no preservatives)
- Whatever else I can find in the fridge (leftovers, etc).
- For drinks, my “treat” is sparkling water with lemon and ice (I’ve stopped drinking wine, another really tough one for me).
- Sorbet made in Vitamix (Frozen peach or mango blended in a blender).
If anyone else has any good, healthy snack alternatives, please feel free to share in the comments section, I’m sure those dealing with any cravings would greatly appreciate it, thanks!
Lots of love,